Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Little House All Over the World



I enjoy watching re-runs of "Little House on the Prairie." The average person always dressed modestly, and most people were of faith and family. Anyway, the other day, there was a scene in which someone said that the Greeks invented Algebra. That was odd because I thought Muslims did. So here's some info from the net: The word 'algebra' itself comes from a book called Kitab al-Jabr wa-l-Muqabala (translated: Calculation by Way of Restoration and Confrontation or Calculation by Completion and Balance) written by Persian mathematician Muhammad ibn Mosa al-Khwarizmi (approximately) in the year 820 AD. However, this was not the first written record of algebraic concepts or manipulation. Ancient Egyptians, Babylonians, Indians, Chinese, among others have written records further developing the basic human reasoning skill into a structured, yet creative art form. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_invented_algebra
And then, in the same scene, the character said, "If Mohammad won't go to the mountain, then bring the mountain to Mohammad." Ok...so that was annoying to me. First they don't give proper credit to the Muslim man who wrote the book on Algebra, and then they use some archaic phrase using the name of Islam's Prophet in some odd expression. Anyway, my positive view of the show decreased then. But I still like it in general. That's just life. You admire something and then end up getting disappointed that the thing you like doesn't really know who you are. (That will only make sense if you can relate to what I'm saying...Ha Ha Ha :-)

Here are some more pics that I have copied from the net, some from these other hijabi blogs:
http://hijabstyle.blogspot.com/
http://beautifulmuslimah.blogspot.com/

http://www.hijabifashionista.blogspot.com/
And my apologies to anyone who doesn't get proper credit for the photographs. Please comment me to correct.

I like the artistic aspect of these pics of hijabi style. I would not likely wear most of them mostly because they would require too much effort to pull off, and I am a bit hesitant to say that one should devote soooooo much energy to fashion in the first place. Still, I like to include these photos mainly for any non-Muslim reader of my blog to show him or her that Muslim modesty doesn't have to be dark and mysterious. It can be fun and fashionable...friendly and fierce. Just like Muslim women in general, all over the world...





2 comments:

Pixie said...

I don't believe it is bad to put time into our appearance: in fact, the Prophet SAW encouraged us to do so so that non-muslims might be drawn to the speaker enough to hear the message.
"You are going to visit your brothers [go out], so... make sure that you are dressed well, so that you will not stand out among people like an adornment, for Allah does not love ugliness." (Abu Dawood, Al-Haakim in Al-Mustadrak)
-Aisha said she hade seen the Prophet SAW asess his appearence in a household basin of water. She asked him, "You too do this?" Mohammed SAW said: "Yes when a man goes out... let him prepare himself properly, for Allah is beautiful and loves beauty." (Al-Qurtubi)
The Prophet said: "No one who has an atom's weight of pride in his heart will enter Paradise." A man asked him, "What if he likes his clothes and shoes to look good?" [is that too counted as pride?] The Prophet said: "Allah is beautiful and loves beauty. Pride means denying the truth and looking down on other people." (Muslim from Ibn Mas'ood)

Pixie said...

I borrowed the bottom two pics girl---when I get my little editing pencils back, insha'allah I can link them to you.